Updated: CAP (Custom Automated Prosthetics) to Close July 6th 2018
The above image was published when news regarding CAP was speculative, the article has been updated with a new image below
June 21, 2018 – According to a now-deleted thread on the popular dental lab-related forum ‘dentallabnetwork.com’. Custom Automated Prosthetics, known as CAP is to be
closed July 6th, 2018. (Updated June 22, 2018 through official statement from Henry Schein:) CAP Milling has been renamed ‘CMC Stoneham’ and CAP Milling and CMC Milling will be merged into a single location in Golden, CO.
Co-founded in 2010 by Bob Cohen, CDT and Rob Nazzal, CAP’s a mission was to help dental laboratories thrive through the digital transition occurring in the dental industry. As CAD/CAM became the standard manufacturing method in dentistry, CAP was on the forefront of developing best-in-class solutions. A short list of their achievements included:
– Award winning milling center products and services (JDT WOW! Award Winner 2011 – CAP FZ | Full Contour Zirconia)
– 3D Scan and CAD design systems (3Shape)
– CAM and milling systems (Sum3D CAM and Roland DWX-50 – worldwide leader)
– Renowned training and support (capacademy.com JDT WOW! Award Winner 2012)
– Assembled a team of digital dentistry experts to develop the CAP Complete CAD/CAM solution combining off-the-shelf products with CAP’s proprietary intellectual property.
CAP had grown dramatically since its founding in 2010 to their acquisition in 2016, becoming a part of the Zahn Dental business at Henry Schein.
At the moment, no details have been released about how current customers will be handled, although there is speculation that all business will be directed to Henry Schein’s other milling center: CMC. Details of how Roland customers along with how their existing service agreements will be honored have not been clarified either.
Stick with DentalTechTips for more updates!
Updated June 22, 2018 with official statement from Henry Schein:
“CMC Golden and CMC Stoneham (formerly CAP Milling Center) are being merged into a single location (Golden, CO). Our marketing, research and development, technical support, and equipment and CAD/CAM sales teams remain intact and are committed to providing the same excellent support that customers expect from Zahn. The merging of these centers gives us an opportunity to invest in technology, explore new ways to expand our footprint in the future and reinforces Zahn’s commitment to growing our strong CAD/CAM equipment sales and support business. We remain committed to our valuable Team Schein Members, including seasoned technicians, machinists, and mechanical engineers who will help deliver these solutions that our customers can rely on to help them operate a more successful and efficient laboratory.”
DentalTechTips had a few questions for Henry Schein:
Are all employees and services being moved to CMC? Or will it only be the sales force and everyone else being sent home?
* We encourage team members at the Stoneham Milling Center to apply for open positions in Stoneham. Opportunities are available in a variety of areas, including training, technical support, repair/service, and in the warehouse. The team has also been encouraged to apply for open positions in Golden, pending they are willing to relocate. As a result of our proactive dialogue with Team Schein Members, some of these positions have already been filled. We look forward to working with the team to fill additional roles that will help contribute to their personal career growth, Zahn’s continued expansion and the success of our customers.
What % of employees are expected to be let go?
* The company does not discuss employment-related matters
Questions regarding existing milling customers and Roland service agreements were not addressed.